Yep. Just had another follow up appointment today with the OB doctor. I declined sweeping my membranes and declined induction. I want this baby to come on her own as long as I am ok and she is ok. So I have a non-stress test tomorrow and probably another one next week.
Next follow up appointment is Wednesday and if I haven’t gone into labor on my own by then, I will probably have her sweep my membranes so I have a greater chance to go into labor on my own before an induction around 42 weeks. I am putting that off until as close to 42 weeks as possible. I wanted a natural and (hopefully unmedicated) birth and I am trying to balance that with the my threshold for risk to baby. Basically, the doctor says that 7-10 days past the EDD, the placental function starts to break down and this can increase the chances for stillbirth. A lot of 42 week placentas have started to calcify based on what she has seen. So this is not something I take lightly. It took a long time to get pregnant and I am so close to the end that I just want a healthy baby. But at this point, I am still within the window that things should be ok. Most FTMs deliver late anyway!
I did submit to the cervical check and am 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. So all the menstrual like cramping has gotten me somewhere in terms of progress! Lets just hope it keeps going that direction and I feel some real contractions soon.
In actuality, the chance of having my baby on Sunday is 5%. I cannot wait for this baby to be ready to be born. I haven’t felt too much in the way of labor signs either….kind of disappointing. But I can hope that it will start soon before my next follow-up apt on 5/2. At that appointment I will be 40+4 and need to make a decision about how to proceed. Doctor is talking membrane sweeping or induction because they don’t want to let me go much beyond 41 weeks. I just hope it doesn’t come down to that because I wanted as natural of a birth as possible and to labor at home for most of it, then go to hospital.
Come on baby! Come out and play.